Home Page

SEND Information Report

September 2022 John Hunt Primary School SEN Information Report September 2022/23

What kinds of special educational needs does the school make provision for?

At John Hunt Academy we positively welcome children of all abilities, regarding their inclusion in our school population as a basic right from which everyone in the community can gain. The school recognises the entitlement of all pupils to a balanced, broadly based curriculum. Our SEN policy reinforces the need for teaching that is fully inclusive. The governing body will ensure that appropriate provision will be made for all children with SEN.


How does the school know if pupils’ people need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

Early identification of pupils with SEN is a priority. The school will use appropriate screening and assessment tools, and ascertain pupil progress through:

  •   Evidence obtained by teacher observation/assessment
  •  Performance at the end of Foundation Stage and Key Stages
  •  Pupil progress in relation to objectives in the curriculum
  •  Standardised screening or assessment tools (see Appendix 2)


If you think your child has special educational needs please talk to your child’s class teacher directly as an initial step.


How does the school evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs? How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support their learning?

Progress is the crucial factor in determining the need for additional support. Adequate progress is that which:

  •  Closes the attainment gap between pupil and peers
  •  Prevents the gap widening
  •  Is equal to that of peers starting from the same baseline but less than the majority of peers
  •  Equals or improves upon the pupil’s previous rate of progress
  •  Ensures full curricular access
  •  Shows an improvement in self-help and social or personal skills
  •  Shows improvements in the pupil’s behaviour or attitudes to learning. 


What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs? How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child’s needs?

The main methods of provision made by the school are:

  •  Full-time education in classes, with additional help and support by class teacher through a differentiated curriculum
  •  In-class support with adult assistance
  •  Support from other specialists within class or as part of a withdrawal programme
  •  Support from other specialists off-site as part of an individualised programme
  •  Periods of withdrawal to work 1-1 with a support teacher
  •  Periods of withdrawal to work with a group and a support teacher Within the support, we are also mindful that some children can become overly dependent on the support and so we strive to develop or maintain a child’s ability to tackle activities as independently as possible.


How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child will receive? The decision of support is made by the Head Teacher, SENCO and the staff that work with the child. Through discussion it will be decided what form the support should take and the frequency.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

The school strives to be an inclusive school, creating a sense of community and belonging through its commitment to an:

  • Inclusive ethos
  •  Broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils
  •  Systems for early identification of barriers to learning and participation
  •  High expectations and suitable targets for all pupils At John Hunt Primary School we have adopted a whole-school approach to SEN policy and practice.


Pupils identified as having SEN are fully included within mainstream classes and every effort is made to ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to ensure all pupils have full access to the curriculum and are fully included into all aspects of school life. September 2020


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school has created a nurture room that children can access for various activities. This may include sessions to model courteous and supportive behaviour while making the children feel accepted and valued. It is a place that the children can calm down, or go to if they have something they need talk about or any worries. It is a place where children can go and work in small groups or on one to one activities.


Who is the school’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details?

Mrs Jo Glass and Miss Laura Proctor are the SENCOs at John Hunt Primary and Nursery School.

They can be contacted by phoning the school – 01636 682007 or email -


What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

The school recognises the important contribution that external support services make in assisting to identify, assess and provide for SEN pupils When it is considered necessary, colleagues from the following support services may be supporting children with SEN

  • Educational psychologists
  •  Medical officers
  •  Speech and Language therapists
  •  Physiotherapists
  •  Hearing impairment services
  •  Visual impairment services
  •  Traveller Education
  •  Education Service for Physical Disability
  •  Counsellors
  •  Play Therapists
  •  Social Workers
  •  Targeted Support Workers
  •  Family Support Workers 
  •  PSED team


How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school?

The school has a range of specialist SEN facilities in place.

These are:

  •  Lift access to a room in the Victorian building.
  •  Hygiene suites located in the foundation block, KS1 building and Main Building.
  •  Wheelchair access to all buildings via ramps.
  •  Lighting is compliant with EU regulations.
  •  Extended time is applied for, for children taking SATs as well as scribes and readers if required.
  •  Wherever possible specialist equipment is acquired for children as required. This could include seating, technology, adaptations to toilets and buildings.


What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child?

Parents with children receiving extra funding from the family of schools will have a termly review with the SENCO, class teacher and external services. Other children with needs will have a termly review with the class teacher.


What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

At John Hunt Academy, we encourage pupils to participate in their learning by:

• Including pupils in the planning and reviewing of curricular targets

• Including pupils in the planning and reviewing of their individual targets

• Using signs and symbols and visual prompts

• Encouraging pupils to self-evaluate their progress at regular intervals. 


What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school?

Contact the class teacher directly. Contact Mrs Jo Glass – SENCO KS2 – 01636682007

Contact Miss Lindsey Stokes – Temporary SENCO KS1 and Foundation - 01636682007

Contact Mrs Lisa Mole – Head Teacher – 01636682007

The school’s Complaints Policy indicates a series of steps. In the first instance any concern should be discussed with the class teacher. If the concern remains a conversation should be held with the SENCO in regard to specific SEN issues. After this the next contact should be with Lisa Mole. If after this the complaint should then be made to the Governing Body.


How does the governing body involve other organisations and services in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and supporting the families of such children?

We appoint a safeguarding and SEN governor. These areas are covered in each strategic development meeting. All governors are briefed in the termly head teacher report. The SEN and safeguarding governor make visits into school and meet with relevant staff on a regular basis.


How will the school prepare my child to transfer between schools During Y6?

The SENCO will liaise with the feeder secondary schools to devise an appropriate transition plan for pupils with SEN along with class teacher and identified teaching assistant. For Y6 pupils the SENCO will:

  • invite the receiving secondary SENCO/staff to all relevant meetings and plan transition activities for the individuals.
  •  Development of a timetable of extra visits to the receiving school
  •  Identification of areas for concern over the transitional period
  •  Identification of responsible staff for the transition plan and period
  •  Outline plan for a ‘Passport’ (document created to support the pupil through the transition process)
  •  Opportunities for meetings between parents and receiving school colleagues.


 Where can I find further information? (learning/schools/special-educational-needs) Parent Partnership